Elysha's World

Elysha's World

Monday, January 2, 2017

Are You Here Because You Are My Friend?




Yesterday was a great day! It was the first day of the New Year and we had a stake wide combined sacrament meeting. A bishop stood up and talked about how we are all in the body of Christ. He is a doctor and talked about how we are all uniquely different and have different responsibilities. He talked about how if you pull a muscle in your back, then you are out of commission for a while and in a lot of pain. If one person is hurting in the congregation, then we are all hurting. 

I’d never thought of church and the people in my ward like that before, however I could relate to what he was talking about. It’s amazing how one small paper-cut can ruin your entire day. It hurts and it throbs and it takes some time to heal. You try to forget about it, but every time you wash your hand, or it breaks open and starts to bleed again, you have to care for it. It isn’t until that wound is healed that you can get back to full health, and you forget that it even happened.

I have a confession: Sometimes I’m not always the most Christ like person. However this Christmas season and New Year is about changing and becoming more like the person we want to become. Isn’t that what life is about? To become the best we can be? 

I thought a lot yesterday about all of the small promptings I’ve had. A lot of them had to do with writing someone a letter or note, or dropping off something to someone in my ward. Most of the small things we do for people, we never know the outcome. I think a lot of times, we feel like there is no reason to listen to those small promptings or positive thoughts towards another person. I like this quote by Sister Camilla Kimball, “Never suppress a generous thought.” 




A few years ago I was asked to go visit someone who wasn’t doing very well. I knew he wasn’t doing very well, but we hadn’t talked in a while, and I didn’t know if he’d talk to me. I went to his door and he let me in. I told him that I was there to talk to him and see how he was doing. Then he asked me a life changing question. He said, “Are you here because of your calling, or are you here because you are my friend?”

That was a really great question. I was there for both reasons. I was there because I was worried about him and so were other people, but first and foremost I was there because I was his friend. Luckily we’d been friends for a few years, so really my visit wasn’t out of the ordinary, but I was glad that I’d taken the time to get to know the people that surrounded me. The only difference between a stranger and a friend is a conversation that starts like this, “Hello! What’s your name?”  

It’s a new year! Let’s start it out right by turning the strangers around us into friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment