Elysha's World

Elysha's World

Sunday, August 7, 2016

Who Made You King of Anything




Some things have happened in the past few days that have made me reflect on my life a little bit. I feel like there are social pressure and limits and we’re supposed to stay in a certain box to be acceptable people. Step out of the box and people don’t really know what to do with you. (Does this sound like the movie Divergent yet?) I’m not trying to make this sound that extreme, but sometimes I find when I’m being myself and I’m enjoying myself, people make weird/rude comments about my life and my choices. 

One day I was in the bathroom at work and I was fixing my hair on the way out. A girl I knew walked in as I was about to leave and said, “Elysha, don’t be so vain.” As I left and walked down the hall I was really confused. I didn’t think I was being vain, I’d been sitting at my desk all day, and just wanted to fix a hair or two that was out of place. 


In the past few years I’ve had a lot of experiences where I’ve gotten to do things for other people. In a lot of situations I din’t know how to help, or what to give to other people, so I write something from my heart and present it to the person or family. One of the first few times I did this, I presented something I’d written for a family in my community after a death of their young daughter. They displayed it at the viewing as people walked around the room and saw memorabilia from/about her. I didn’t know the girl very well personally, but I knew her mother. When I got to the receiving line by the casket I got numerous hugs and had some special moments with a few of the family members who knew me and thanked me for what I’d written. That is why I had written it, to give comfort. 

I left the viewing feeling like I’d helped ease this family’s burden in some small way. About an hour later, I got a text from someone I rarely spoke to saying, “I see your poem is placed at the very front of the room at the viewing. Nice! Impressive!” 

I was very upset. This person had taken something I had done and turned my motives completely around. I had taken this frame to the house of the family the day I’d heard about the accident, and they had chosen to set it up at the viewing, I had nothing to do with it. I couldn’t understand why someone, especially in that situation, would think or say something like that. It wasn’t about me at all, it was about the family and helping them find healing. 

Someone made a comment in church today about a quote by Mother Teresa. It’s usually attributed to her, but I believe it was actually written by Kent M. Keith. 

People are often unreasonable, illogical and self-centered;
Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives;
Be kind anyway.
If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies;
Succeed anyway.
If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you;
Be honest and frank anyway.
What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight;
Build anyway.
If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous;
Be happy anyway.
The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow;
Do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough;
Give the world the best you've got anyway.
You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and your God;
It was never between you and them anyway.

I love this! There were times when I decided I’d stop blogging because someone made a comment about something. I’d sit back and evaluate, and then someone else would tell me that the exact story someone else hated, had made their day.  After the poem viewing fiasco I thought about never writing or doing something nice for anyone ever again, because I didn't want it to be taken the wrong way. Then I remembered the words above, and I realized that it doesn’t matter what others think, “It was never between [me] and them anyway.” In the words of Taylor Swift, “Haters gonna Hate...Shake it off.” 


Be who you are! Do good deeds! Build away! I’ve had the… I guess we’ll say opportunity to live around and associate with many negative people. They will tear down anything that you try to build. They will always be unhappy with their life and with yours. Don’t let that stop you. You can do this!
The punch line from one of my favorite jokes is “You is who you is.” Own it! 



1 comment:

  1. I love your post and I have never heard that last song. I love it! As usual, well done beautiful!

    ReplyDelete