Elysha's World

Elysha's World

Sunday, May 22, 2016

It's a Sign!



I went shopping this week and found some new decor for my room. When I got home and looked around, I realized that I really do enjoy sayings posted around for me to look at throughout the day. They are little reminders to me, and while a lot of times I don’t notice them, when I do, they usually bring a smile to my face. 

It reminded me of another sign I saw a few years ago. I was lost as to the next step to take in my life, and one sign changed my whole perspective. I posted about in this blog Elizabeth Smart and My Story. Here is the part that I wanted to share:

“I remember a time last year when I was having a really hard time. I didn’t feel like my life had any direction to it, and I felt like it didn’t really matter what I was doing. I was home from a mission, I was single, I had graduated from college, and I wasn’t really sure what I should be doing. I had a part time job and I just wanted the Lord to answer my prayers and tell me what I should be doing. I’d applied for at least 20 different full time positions, but I couldn’t even get an interview. I felt lost and confused. 

One day, I was walking down the hall of the university where I worked at and I felt the need to look up. I looked up and right in front of me hanging from the ceiling was a sign that said ‘Be Patient.’ That’s all it said. The sign was actually talking about construction, or something like that, but I took it as a sign from my Father in Heaven that I needed to stop trying to control everything, and just let Him take the lead. I was always trying to take the next step, but I think He was telling me to slow down and let things happen the way they were supposed to happen.” 

I had a similar experience to the one mentioned above a few years earlier, when I was trying to figure out what to major in. I had just transferred from a college to a university and I wasn't sure what to major in. I prayed about it, thought about it, asked people what they thought, but I never felt like I got my answer. I decided I'd just stick with English, even though I didn't really want to major in that.

On the day that I went to sign up for my major, I tripped and found myself looking at this manhole cover. I looked up and I was right in front of the Humanities building. I had been debating whether or not I should be a Communications major, and I took this as my answer. I stood up and walked right into that building. That's how I decided which major I should go into.
Some, if not all people, might call that a coincidence. I don’t. I like to see them as helpful hints from a Heavenly Father. 


One of the signs that I bought this week is now posted above my door. I’m not 100% sure that it was actually said by Abraham Lincoln, but I liked the idea on it regardless. It says, “The best thing about the future is that it…only comes one day at a time.” I LOVE that idea! (Especially because one of my favorite talks is about taking life “one day at a time.”) I share a large portion of that talk on this blog I Love the Way You Hold Me

Here are some of my favorite signs and sayings. 










No comments:

Post a Comment