Elysha's World

Elysha's World

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

You Are Loved




You are loved. That is a simple truth. It might not feel like it or seem like it, but you are. I was trying to think of something to write as I was walking around today, and this is the thought that popped into my head. In particular the Josh Groban song I posted above. “Don’t give up. You are loved.” 

I was thinking about what an interesting week I’ve been having. Yesterday I had the opportunity to do some service. I got to be an usher for a big new local attraction, and had the job of working with the disabled. I helped make room for them in line, told them where to go and basically was a bouncer. I got to stand by a warm heater and be alone with my thoughts for about 4 hours. 

I’m not ashamed to say that most of the time I kept myself entertained by singing Hamilton, or some other song to myself. Part of the time I translated everything I was thinking into Chinese, just to see if I could do it. The rest of my time was spent looking at the hundreds of people that walked by me, and trying to see if I knew any of them. I always run into people I know. I’ve decided that is God’s way of telling me, “You are loved. There are people all around you that love you.” It's a constant reminder, and it works!  Recently this weird thing has happened to me when I come across a lot of people in a short amount of time. I stand still and watch them all pass as I think of what a cool creator God is. This thought happens at the most random times. I will be people watching and all of the sudden I'll have the thought, "All of theses people are loved. They all belong to a family. They are all important." Then I'll feel this deep connecting love to each one of them. They of course don't notice me, but I notice them.

Whenever I have this thought, I always am transcended through time back to Taiwan. I see myself standing on the corner handing out English class pamphlets while thousands of people rush by and take my slip of paper. Most of us never spoke but we spent a few seconds in each others life.

Here is another not as expected group of people. I’ll admit that I’ve tried Tinder once or twice, but I usually get nervous and delete it after a few hours. However as I’m swiping I am just amazed at how uniquely different everyone is. We are definitely not all the same. We all want different things. We all have different interests. This is why society works so well, because we all have a different job to do. Some people actually enjoy doing math. Some enjoy teaching, while others like to enforce the rules.
I think something that helped me see this vision a little bit better, was a class I took in high school. My senior year I took an acting class, and in that class we did a “mask class” for a semester. I think it might have had something to do with the Suzuki acting method or something like that.  We had a A-B schedule and on the B days we had mask class. 
 
The Black Box
We went through an entire lifetime  in just a semester. The first day of the mask class we sat in a circle and one at a time our teacher handed us a unique mask set apart for us. It helped define who we were, and we were reborn at that time as a new person. We were instructed not to talk about anything that happened in this class with anyone outside of class. The mask class was held in a black box classroom and talking was not allowed at all. Our unique masks were ours, they had to be left in the classroom, and we had to use the same mask every single time. 

At first we started out with individual exercises that stretched our mind and our imagination, but then as the semester progressed we built our own houses and eventually an entire city. I made friends with the people who lived around me, all through body language, without talking, and looking through a mask. Our teacher became this all knowing being who would set the scene for us and let us know what was going on. He eventually gave us all a profession as well, so that we would have something to do in our time while living in our imaginative city. I was told I was a doctor. I would go watch people play in the local theater; I would visit friends, and buy food on my way through the park. This would happen all in a dim lighted black box. It was incredible. I became friends with people who I wasn’t friends with in real life, however when we were in class and behind our masks we were best friends, almost sisters. At the end of the class, we’d take off our masks and walk outside into the sunshine and the girl I was friends with 5 minutes before would totally ignore me. 
We are all preparing to put on masks in "Love's Labour's Lost."

I saw the world in a whole new light, and in a sense got to live my life with a different profession. I was respected for my position, and even saved a life or two. Toward the end of the class my teacher had to bring a close to our imagined town. He had one of the students take off their mask and enter the room as a normal person. The feeling in the room changed. This person who used to be one of us was now different. I knew this kid, we were friends, but he was different than we were, and our instructor told us that he wasn’t a good person. My classmates started to become violet towards this classmate. They started building a barricade out of tables and chairs around us so that this intruder couldn’t get to us. I’d never experienced racism before, but for a brief second I understood all of the hate and injustice in the world towards someone who was different from me. 
 
Eventually the semester ended and we all had to go back to living our normal dull high school lives. However I was forever changed. Sometimes I wish I could go back, or that I could see through different eyes. I think a lot of times we get caught up in our own thoughts, and we forget to “walk a mile in someone else’s shoes.”

 I wrote a song while in high school. It was the first song I ever wrote, and it alludes a little bit to this class. I’d like to share it here. Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment