Elysha's World

Elysha's World

Saturday, January 16, 2016

Alice Paul: Why I Can Vote





On Monday Google told me that it was Alice Paul’s birthday. Who is she? If you would have asked me that question 2 years ago I would have had no idea. Last year I bought this movie that looked interesting. It was based on a true story and was a movie made for TV. It was called “Iron Jawed Angels.” I put off watching it for a long time because I couldn’t tell if it would be scary or scandalous. It had an all-star cast, and finally one day I decided to watch it. I really enjoyed it. It came out in 2003 and got a 87% on Rotten Tomato's by the audience.

It follows the life of Alice Paul and other activists who fought for the right for women to vote. I think we take so much for granted. Things are just handed to us, and we forget everything that our country had to go through to get where it is today. I’ve been thinking a lot about that recently as I’ve been listening to “Hamilton” the musical on repeat. 

In “Iron Jawed Angels” some of these women give their life speaking out for what they believe. They go through awful things, and give up many things to make their dreams a reality. I just looked on YouTube to see if they had any cool clips of it, and come to find out, they actually have the whole movie on there! If you are looking for an educational movie that might make you cry, this is definitely it. Hilary Swank, Angelica Houston, Patrick Dempsy, the gang’s all here!


After I watched that movie I was still in the mood to celebrate the right that I have to vote, so I thought of the movie “Marry Poppins.” Mostly I thought of the mother in that movie, and the songs she sings throughout the movie. It was very enjoyable, and I hadn’t seen it in such a long time! Julie Andrews and Dick Vandyke are just classic. I thought a lot about the movie “Saving Mr. Banks” while I watched it. I feel like I would appreciate it more now, after brushing up on that movie. Here is a clip from it. 


Basically I’m just really grateful to be alive in this day and time and I’m grateful to all those who have gone before. They made a difference, and I feel blessed to be here to reap the benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment