Elysha's World

Elysha's World

Friday, December 4, 2015

Stand Strong in the War Room of Defiance




I think sometimes we happen to hear or see the same thing over and over again because we are just not getting the message that God is trying to send to us. This happens to be a theme in my life right now, and top on the list is prayer. 

Tonight was not at all what I expected it to be, but I definitely am ending the night feeling uplifted and edified. I saw a preview for the movie “War Room” about a month ago, and I thought it looked pretty good. It definitely looked Christian. Watching it reminded me of another movie that came out a few years ago called "Stand Strong." Some family friends of ours made the movie. The story alone on how the movie came to be is inspiring.  My grandmother Charlotte Sheffield played the role of the grandmother in that movie. It had a great message, but I don’t think it ever made it to theaters. However it is or at one point was sold at Walmart. Here is the trailer for that movie.

The movie tonight was nothing short of amazing. It was really inspiring. It was a last minute decision that made me reflect a lot, and I’m still thinking about it. The people who made the movie “War Room” also made some other moving films like “Courageous,” “Fireproof,” and “Facing the Giants.” Their movies get better and better every time. They are always very inspiring and centered on making families better and stronger. It doesn’t matter what you believe in, you’ll have all of the feels with these movies. 

One of the most memorable and moving scenes in "Facing the Giants" has to do with blind faith and hard work. I get chills every time I watch it, and have had teachers play it for me in numerous classes.

Tonight,  I thought a lot towards the end of "War Room" about how appropriate this movie really is. The times when I needed the Lord the most I did indeed go into my closet and pray. I’d go into my closet at home and sit and think in there. I’d take a beanbag in (and the closet wasn’t that big) because it felt safe and secure. I had four walls surrounding me, and I was all alone. There was no one watching me. It was dark and cozy and safe. 

Maybe I could relate a lot to this movie because my parents fought a lot when I was growing up. I knew exactly how the little girl felt in this movie, and how the little boy felt in the movie “Stand Strong.” I knew not to wake my father up for anything when he was sleeping. I knew to be alert and on edge when he was home. I knew not to leave my toys out or else they’d be thrown away. I knew to never talk back, but rather not say anything at all/show no emotion until I could go be by myself in my room. I knew not to get bad grades and not make too much noise when my friends were around, or better yet not to invite my friends around. 

I knew that every time we were going to be switching from one parent to another the cops would be called to “keep the peace.” I knew to not tell anything to the court appointed shrink, because he was just going to lie in court anyway. I knew to protect my sisters no matter the cost, and if that meant hiding in a closet to compose myself / praying for strength before going to talk to the cops that happened to be upstairs in my living room, then I could be brave and do that. I could stand up for myself and those around me, and I could tell the truth. 

Maybe some of that information is too personal, but it was my life. Luckily, this movie has a happy ending and everything is resolved. I guess it’s not always that way in real life, but we do what we can. I liked that in this movie they talked about focusing on the good and how the Lord has blessed you, rather than focusing on the scary and unknown things in life.
One of the most memorable scenes in the movie is when two women are talking about their lives and prayer, and the older woman uses an incredibly accurate analogy about coffee to prove a point. Here’s that clip.

This movie also reminds me of a movie called “The Prize Winner of Defiance Ohio.” Julianne Moore plays Evalyn Ryan, the mother of 10 children, who writes jingles and wins prizes to help her family survive. It seems that some people don’t have very many trials, but I’ve found that most people that are extremely happy usually have the most trials. It’s not that they don’t have them, but they’ve had so many that the only way they know how to cope with it is to just keep smiling and having a positive attitude.

I have some friends that are like that, and I feel after watching this movie tonight, perhaps I should be more like that as well. Of course there is a time for tears and other emotions, but sometimes you’ve just got to say as Joseph B. Wirthlin did, “Come what may and love it.” 


If you can’t tell, I’d highly recommend any and all of these movies. They all helped me to grow and reevaluate my life. Life is not always pretty or perfect, but experiences shape who we are, and help us to be a little more kind and understanding to the plight’s of those around us. 



1 comment:

  1. I love the personal touch..... I am looking forward to seeing the movie!

    ReplyDelete