Elysha's World

Elysha's World

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

I.D.L.E. Is No Way To Be!




I was driving in my car today when I came to a stop light. It was dark outside and there was nothing to do but wait. I thought to myself, “I’m just sitting here idling.” Then I thought to myself, “Is the car idling or am I idling.” Then the light bulb came on for me. 

I’m sure someone has made this connection before in some EFY talk or something, but it finally made sense in my brain! When we are idle we’re not doing anything or going anywhere. This is especially true when driving a manual or stick-shift car. In order to be idling in a manual, you have to have your car in neutral (not in gear) and have your foot on the brake pedal. If your foot is on the brake pedal or your emergency brake is on, your car will not move


There is no way to go anywhere in your car if you are in neutral. If the light turns green and you try to put your foot on the gas pedal, your car will rev, but it will not move until your car is in gear. Sometimes people try to go too quickly and they “kill” their car. Then they have to restart their car and try again. 

This is especially true when first learning how to drive a stick-shift. People continually “kill” their car over and over again because they aren’t sure how much gas to use, and when to take their foot off of the clutch. 

This is also true with trying new things. Sometimes we feel like we are stuck in life. We’re trying hard to do good things, but we just don’t seem to be going anywhere. We’re probably in neutral and idling our days away. When we decide to try something new, and get ourselves in gear, most of the time it’s not a smooth transition, and we feel like we mess up over and over again. 

However, with a little bit of patience and determination we can learn to move forward and before we know it, we forget all the frustration we had with our awkward jolty start. In fact we can’t be stopped, unless we chose to stop and be idle. However, once you know how to drive, being idle isn’t such a bad thing. It’s nice occasionally to “stop and take stock, while you’re [sitting] there stuck ” in the middle of the road.  

I found a talk about using time wisely from the October 2011 LDS General Conference. Elder Ian S. Arden gives a great talk. If you have 11 minutes to sit and listen to something, this would be worth your time. Here is my favorite part of his talk:

“The poor use of time is a close cousin of idleness. As we follow the command to “cease to be idle” (D&C 88:124), we must be sure that being busy also equates to being productive. For example, it is wonderful to have the means of instant communication quite literally at our fingertips, but let us be sure that we do not become compulsive fingertip communicators. I sense that some are trapped in a new time-consuming addiction—one that enslaves us to be constantly checking and sending social messages and thus giving the false impression of being busy and productive.

There is much that is good with our easy access to communication and information. I have found it helpful to access research articles, conference talks, and ancestral records, and to receive e-mails, Facebook reminders, tweets, and texts. As good as these things are, we cannot allow them to push to one side those things of greatest importance. How sad it would be if the phone and computer, with all their sophistication, drowned out the simplicity of sincere prayer to a loving Father in Heaven. Let us be as quick to kneel as we are to text.

Electronic games and cyber acquaintances are no lasting substitute for real friends who can give an encouraging hug, who can pray for us and seek after our best interest.”

Here is the video for anyone who may want to watch it. (Side note: He has a New Zealand accent which makes this video even more worth watching.)


Also, I wrote this little poem to go with this idea. 

If I don’t know what to choose
Do I win or do I lose
Leave me alone and let me be
Each day I’m I.D.L.E.

However

If you also add an A
Do some rearranging
Educate yourself real well
And do some concentrating
Live your life and have a goal so life’s worth celebrating! 


This last video gives me shivers every time I listen to it! Once you figure out how to get in gear and go it's time to "Move On." This song is from a play called "Sunday in the Park with George.

 
Also, once you chose your path, sometimes you've just "Gotta Go [Your] Own Way." This is my sister and I driving home a few months ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment