Elysha's World

Elysha's World

Sunday, October 4, 2015

My New Motto: Que Sera Sera - What Will Be Will Be




A few months ago I went to an outside concert with some friends. A local girl was singing and she had an incredible voice. We found some shade and enjoyed the music while watching small children try to get coins out of the large fountain in front of us. She sang a song that I loved, but had never heard before. I asked my friends what it was called and they said, “Que Sera Sera.” I forgot about the song, but I remembered it’s meaning. It means “what will be will be.” 

Last week I was watching some shows on Netflix while cleaning my room. The first day I was watching “Call the Midwife.” In the first few moments a song came on. Can you guess what the song was? “Que Sera Sera.” What?! I was so excited. I looked up the lyrics and the song and found out that Doris Day sang that song. I didn’t know a lot about Doris Day, but I know she’s in a few musicals that I enjoy. I read a little Biography about her life, found out that she was still alive, and found my new favorite quote by her:

"I like joy; I want to be joyous; I want to have fun on the set; I want to wear beautiful clothes and look pretty. I want to smile and I want to make people laugh. And that's all I want. I like it. I like being happy. I want to make others happy." - Doris Day

Imagine my surprise the next day when I turned on an old episode of “Gilmore Girls” to hear the EXACT SAME SONG!! This is when I realized that I just must not be getting the message. I tried to play the song on guitar to post it on here, but it didn’t work out, so listen to the video above, and here are the lyrics. 

When I was just a little girl
I asked my mother
What will I be
Will I be pretty
Will I be rich
Here's what she said to me

Que sera, sera
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours to see
Que sera, sera
What will be, will be

When I grew up and fell in love
I asked my sweetheart
What lies ahead
Will we have rainbows
Day after day
Here's what my sweetheart said

Que sera, sera
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours to see
Que sera, sera
What will be, will be

Now I have Children of my own
They ask their mother
What will I be
Will I be handsome
Will I be rich
I tell them tenderly

Que sera, sera
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours to see
Que sera, sera
What will be, will be
Que Sera, Sera

The title of this song has kind of become my new motto. I have a friend from Mexico, and I asked him if “What will be will be” is a good translation of the song, and he said that it was. The best way to learn another language is through music I guess. I find this song very calming. I worry a lot. All the time. I think of every possible solution to an activity before I participate in it, I plan out things I want to do throughout the week, and I carefully think out every possible way to get somewhere before I leave my house. It’s a problem. 

Lately however, I wake up every morning with this song running through my head. I realize that I am nothing as to my own strength, and it leads me to rely more on God. I find myself handing my worry over to him, shrugging my shoulders and thinking, “You’re right, whatever will be will be.”  (When I wrote that, I envisioned it in a Tevye from “Fiddler on the Roof” voice and expression.)
God gave this personal motto to me at the perfect time. He knows us each so individually and perfectly. A lot of change has been happening around me. Usually this would cause a lot of stress, but instead I’m learning to go with the flow. 

If you’ve read this blog at all, you know that I love listening to BYU Devotionals. I listened to an amazing one on Friday. It caused me to think, and almost start crying while sitting at my desk at work, because I realized how much God takes care of me and is in charge of my life. If you have a moment to read or listen to this talk, I HIGHLY recommend it! Here is the link Depending on the Lord.

In it BYU Professor C. Raymond Smith talks about his battle with Polio, learning to play instruments, and ultimately learning how to keep the Sabbath holy. He shared a quote from Truemen G. Madsen that changed my life. It says, Even at our best we are like the blind boy who walks with his friend. He does not believe, nor bluff, that he is self-sufficient. Instead, he responds to the slightest nudge. (If you would know the power of God, try, early in life, to become just this dependable in your dependence.)”

I really like that quote. I’ve felt that way many times, especially right now in my life. I feel a lot like the blind child when it comes to directions I should take in my life. Am I in the right profession? Am I making good use of my time? Should I serve more? How should I serve? Do I worry about making new friends or keeping the old ones? Who should I date? Will I ever get married? Should I go back to school? Should I get a full time job? How do I help my friend in need? How do I help a struggling family member?  The list goes on and on and on and on. 


While listening to this particular talk I was reminded of an experience I had my senior year of college. As I’ve mentioned before I took 21 credits my senior year. Was I crazy? Yes. However this was the only way to graduate before I lost my scholarship. That semester was difficult, and I learned to plan out my life down to the minute. When finals week came around, I had to prepare for 8 finals, and a total of 52 pages had to be written all within one week. I thought it would be impossible to complete this task, but with God on my side, I could do all things. I thought about the words I’d heard from another talk “Give Us This Day Our Daily Bread” (That I wrote about in this blog I Love the Way You Hold Me) and I decided to take it one day at a time. 

I didn’t sleep a lot that week. I did take it one step at a time. One night I’d stayed up until like 3am, and I REALLY need some sleep. I had to get up and finish my paper and print it out before my final. I set my alarm and prayed that I’d be able to wake up at 7am to finish what I needed to do. (It’s important to note here that I am not a morning person…at all. If I didn’t wake up to finish everything I would fail my class.) So I went to bed trusting that God would help me wake up in the morning. 


A few hours later I was jolted suddenly awake when I realized that there was something covering part of my face. I laid there frozen and still in the dark of my room, WIDE AWAKE. My alarm hadn’t gone off and I didn’t know what time it was. I reached up on my forehead and felt something slick. I quickly moved my hand away, and the only thing I could think that it might be would be a leaf bug. A HUGE leaf bug or some other creepy crawly that was on my head. I decided that I would count to 3, and brush it off my head and turn on my lamp. The moment came…1…2…3. In one swift action I threw it to the ground, turned on my light, and got ready to kill it with whatever was closest to me. What did I find?

What I thought had been some huge bug, turned out only to be a face mask that I had been sleeping with all semester long. I looked at the clock. It was 6:30am. The Lord had woken me up with ample time to complete my projects. He not only had let me rest, but made sure I was WIDE AWAKE and ready to go in the morning. God really does have a sense of humor. 

At the end of the week I had little to no desire to study. I had one last final to take, and I didn’t have it in me to do much for it. I had come to the conclusion that I was going to fail. I’d written all my papers, taken all of my other tests, and there was no more room in my brain to study. I tried, but nothing stuck. I told myself that I’d done all that I could do, and went to class the next morning with a heavy heart.
 I sat in my chair trying to figure out if I could pass the class even if I miserably failed this test. The teacher came in and told us that we had a choice to make. We could take the test and try to raise our grade, or we could walk out of the class with the grade we had at that time. She passed out our final papers we’d written and then watched as every person in the class but 2, got up and left. Needless to say, I wasn’t one of the 2 that stayed. I took my passing B and left. 

Once again, God had blessed me. He saw that I’d done everything that I could and took care of me. Some might call these things coincidences, but I saw them as gifts from a loving Heavenly Father. So the next time you worry about something, remember that God is in charge and “whatever will be will be.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment