Elysha's World

Elysha's World

Monday, October 19, 2015

Life is Beautiful



So I just found this song, and I basically fell in love with it! It was in the movie I watched tonight, and I looked it up after. I don't know if it has anything to do with the rest of this post, but the lyrics are so witty and true, that I decided I'd just add it to the top of this post. 

Sometimes life is hard and tiring. Sometimes I don’t go to all of the activities I should go to. Sometimes I come home and take a work after nap…that’s how tired I am, ha ha. Take a nap after work. Sometimes I have no idea what I’m doing with my life, and I’m okay with that. I woke up from my nap and decided that I was very hungry. I decided I was too tired to make food, and too hungry to wait to wake up enough to make food. So I went to CafĂ© Rio by myself and headed toward the surprisingly empty line. 


As soon as I walked through the door I saw my cousin! I haven’t seen her in quite a while and it was a miracle that I ran into her there. We awkwardly blocked all of the specialty drinks while we talked, and kept shuffling back and forth every time someone wanted a refill. Luckily there weren’t a lot of people there. I think God put her right in my path when I needed her. He does this a lot with me. I think it’s so I won’t feel so alone. It happens everywhere I go, and I mean EVERYWHERE I go. Taiwan, Washington DC, St.George, the mall, Walmart, I’m destined to see someone I know. 

After she left I grabbed my food and decided to watch a Halloween movie. I didn’t want to watch a scary one by myself, so I texted a few friends to join me. They were all busy, so instead I watched October Baby. If you haven’t seen this movie, it’s definitely worth your time! 
It’s about a girl who finds out that her whole life has been a lie. She finds out that she was adopted and a failed abortion attempt all in the same day. She has a great friend who helps her through it, and learns to forgive and heal throughout the movie. 

I found it very uplifting and made me think about my own life. Plus, it’s October! What a great time to watch it.  After it was over I called my sister and talked to her for a moment. I don’t know how it came up, but we were talking about trials, and I remembered a story from a BYU Devotional that I heard last year. The devotional was given by Elder Dallin H. Oaks in 1995. Click here to read the whole talk.

In her fine book called Adversity, Elaine Cannon shares this valuable example:

"An old cowboy said he had learned life’s most important lessons from Hereford cows. All his life he had worked cattle ranches where winter storms took a heavy toll among the herds. Freezing rains whipped across the prairies. Howling, bitter winds piled snow into enormous drifts. Temperatures might drop quickly to below zero degrees. Flying ice cut into the flesh. In this maelstrom of nature’s violence most cattle would turn their backs to the ice blasts and slowly drift downwind, mile upon mile. Finally, intercepted by a boundary fence, they would pile up against the barrier and die by the scores.

But the Herefords acted differently. Cattle of this breed would instinctively head into the windward end of the range. There they would stand shoulder-to-shoulder facing the storm’s blast, heads down against its onslaught.

'You always found the Herefords alive and well,' said the cowboy. 'I guess it’s the greatest lesson I ever learned on the prairies—just face life’s storms.'”
So I guess the moral of the story is to keep going! Stand strong and face the storm. Life may not be perfect, but it is beautiful! God is good. I’m just feeling a lot of gratitude for my life and the people in it right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment