Elysha's World

Elysha's World

Saturday, October 24, 2015

A Letter of Recommendation From God



I’ve had a busy few weeks! We’ve had a few people quit in our office the last two weeks, so we’re in the process of interviewing people right now. I’m working close to 40 hours a week to help pick up the slack and learn new concepts. Transitional periods can be hard, but I think they’re important. It’s nice to start over and begin again. 

If I haven’t mentioned it before, I’m a Human Resources Assistant. I work in HR and I really enjoy what I do. I have a minor in HR, and kind of like this job, it just kind of found me. I’m definitely a people person, and I love solving problems and keeping everything in order. 

 As I was leaving work today I had an interesting realization. It was actually a pretty good thought, and I really wanted to share it. What better way to share it than to blog about it? In the last two weeks I’ve spent about 20 hours interviewing people. Interviewing people is actually quite exhausting. I have a lot more respect for the people sitting on the interviewing side of the table now. It’s easy enough to walk into an interview and back out, but when you have 11 people to interview in one day, it can be pretty tiring. 

I’m learning it’s best to be open and candid with the people who interview you. They’re going to figure out who you are soon enough, and if they don’t like your personality from the beginning, you probably don’t want to work for their company any way. It’s really important to be able (at least for me) to feel connected and appreciated by those whom I associate and work with. 

This week I was able to make some reference calls for some people who were applying for a position. I haven’t done it much before this, however I found it really interesting. People want to help people! If someone has a bad employee, they want you to know about the problems, so that you don’t have the same experience.  If they had a great experience, they want to express multiple times about what a hard worker their previous employee was. It was very eye opening.
As I left work I pulled out my phone and Facebook told me to look back at the memories from past years on this day. As I did that a post came up. I laughed to myself, and found it really ironic that after making “recommendation calls” all day, this is what I saw:


Isn’t that amazing? “If God were to write a letter of recommendation for you, what would he write?” This made me think of a post I wrote a few months ago entitled The Great and Terrible Soul Surfer.
I’m going to share a portion of that here:

There is a book series that I absolutely love! It’s called “The Great and Terrible” by Chris Stewart. I accidentally fell upon this book series about 3 years ago while working at a different University. I had a similar job and got to listen to books on CD every day. I went to the library and picked out a book that looked good, and started reading it. I’m not really an avid reader, in fact, this was the last series I read, and by that I mean I was tired of waiting for the CD’s that were checked out to come back to the library, so I got the book and sat down and read them!  

Someone once mentioned to me a very profound thought. They said, “When God is talking to his angels, and your name comes up, what words does he use to describe you?” It really made me think. I hoped it was good. Maybe something like, “She’s a little all over the place, but she’s a great listener” or “She’s not perfect, but she tries her best.”

So in the first book of The Great and Terrible series called “Prologue: The Brothers” There is a paragraph where the Lord does just that. He comes to visit a particular family, and starts talking with one of the brothers, Ammon, about his sister Elizabeth. She’s not around, but she’s a painter. Here’s a bit of the conversation that ensues:

Jehovah walked to the small painting and picked it up, examining it proudly. “I’m so pleased with her,” he said, his voice full of pride. “She has worked so hard. And she is getting very good.” He shot a knowing look to Ammon. “Can I tell you something about her?” He asked him as he smiled.
Ammon nodded anxiously.

“When Elizabeth first started painting, it was very difficult for her. But look at this now. Isn’t it wonderful! Isn’t it great how she does that: sets her mind to something, decides she’s going to develop a talent, then works patiently, not embarrassed by her efforts, even if she starts out a little behind. When it comes to talents, I wish all of Father’s children could be just a little more like Beth: not afraid of failing, not embarrassed for their weakness, not so prideful in their efforts to improve.”

Ammon nodded agreement. Jehovah admired the painting for several minutes, turning it in various directions to catch the different shades of light. “It’s wonderful!” he said finally. “I’ve got to tell her how pleased I am” ( Stewart 108).

So, what would God say about me in a letter of recommendation? I have no idea. As of late he might say, “She is constantly trying to be helpful and improve herself and her surroundings. She tries to be prepared and uplift wherever she goes. She struggles on the little daily things like praying and scripture reading, but if you give her a task she’ll complete it as soon as possible.”
I wish I could say I’d be happy with that answer, but instead it makes me want to improve my life so much more!

 At church on Sunday we had an interesting lesson on chastity. It was actually one of the best lessons I’ve ever been in, and everyone was very candid and honest with their thoughts and comments. The thought in the highlighted portion of this picture was in the manual, and I’ve been thinking about it all week.It definitely made me start to rethink some of things I’ve seen or thought about recently. I want to be a dependable daughter, and I want to be able to be ready and able to serve at a moment’s notice. 

Anyway, something to think about. Have a great weekend! 


No comments:

Post a Comment