Elysha's World

Elysha's World

Thursday, October 29, 2015

8 Days of Pencil




About two months ago my boss came into our office donning a new pencil skirt. She said her neighbor sold them as over stock online, and had a whole bunch of them. She said she gave her a good deal for $5 each. She called it her 7 days of pencil. All week long she came in wearing new pencil skirts. 

Naturally, I was interested in shopping at her neighbor’s house as well. About a month later another girl from the office and I went to visit her neighbor. She gave us the same deal. I bought 8 pencil skirts and adopted the hashtag #8daysofpencil. Then over the next few weeks I wore all of my new pencil skirts. It’s been about a month, and I have finally worn all 8 of them. This was not an easy task! Most of the outfits I put together involved me shopping out of my closet. Almost every single outfit I wore included completely new clothes that I’ve never worn before. I’d cut the tags off of everything that morning. It was fun to refresh my wardrobe.

It’s starting to get cold now, but luckily boots go great with pencil skirts! 

Forgive the dirty mirror pictures. My roommates have better lighting in their bathroom, however I didn't realize the mirror was so dirty until...now.  However, it just goes to show how real life they are! Sometimes I think people think that other people's lives are perfect, when really they're not. We see what we want to see. Life isn't always pretty or perfect, but we try our best. 







Now for one of my favorite outfits. I got a comment that I looked like a Kennedy, Barbie, and Cruella Devil. However, it's another point that people look a lot better when they add a filter onto their pictures. It's not real life. 
No Filter

Filter
The moral of the story is try making new outfits with the clothes in your closet! It's amazing what you can find. Also, fantasy is always going to be better than reality. 

Also, I love this quote by Susan W. Tanner from her 2005 General Conference talk The Sanctity of the Body. There is a story and quote out of it that I have never forgotten:



"I remember well the insecurities I felt as a teenager with a bad case of acne. I tried to care for my skin properly. My parents helped me get medical attention. For years I even went without eating chocolate and all the greasy fast foods around which teens often socialize, but with no obvious healing consequences. It was difficult for me at that time to fully appreciate this body which was giving me so much grief. But my good mother taught me a higher law. Over and over she said to me, 'You must do everything you can to make your appearance pleasing, but the minute you walk out the door, forget yourself and start concentrating on others.'

There it was. She was teaching me the Christlike principle of selflessness. Charity, or the pure love of Christ, 'envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own' (Moro. 7:45). When we become other-oriented, or selfless, we develop an inner beauty of spirit that glows in our outward appearance. This is how we make ourselves in the Lord’s image rather than the world’s and receive His image in our countenances. President Hinckley spoke of this very kind of beauty that comes as we learn to respect body, mind, and spirit." 

To learn more about how to update your wardrobe for little to nothing click here- Exchanging Clothes for Cash or here Rue 21.

To read more on how we let other people's views effect us click here - How Do You Define Yourself?

1 comment:

  1. I think you could just say all that on a vlog and show pictures of yourself as well. Well said Princess 2!

    ReplyDelete