Elysha's World

Elysha's World

Saturday, August 15, 2015

A Slice of American Pie




Slice. I LOVE this song! I totally forgot about this song until yesterday. I was sitting at work after we’d closed the door for the day, and it came up on my Pandora station. I kind of stopped what I was doing and just sat and listened to it. 

Our world is so busy. We are constantly bombarded with news, YouTube videos, Facebooks, Instagram, Twitter, and my personal favorite Netflix. I’m amazed with what kind of trash we let come right into our own homes. Not only into our homes but we carry it around with us everywhere we go. 

What ever happened to talking to the person in front of you at the Grocery Store, to your roommate, to old friends? Now a day’s people will text people…maybe. Send an email, perhaps. We all feel entitled. I’m included. Sometimes I think, “Why hasn’t anyone invited me to do something tonight.” Lately, in response to that I think, “Why haven’t I invited someone to do something tonight?”  In a time when people are so focused on their needs and wants, occasionally we need to step back and think about others.

Earlier today a friend told me about their day yesterday. They were complaining about someone at work. I felt for my friend, but at the same time I wanted to say, “I’m sorry that happened, but why do you think that person acted that way? Maybe they were having a bad day. Is that an excuse to be rude to other people? No. However, maybe if you look outside yourself, you might find that everything and everyone has a story and a reason. We’re all intricately connected. We’re all from the same slice.” 

I used to be terrified of driving. I had anxiety. I was so sure that I was going to die every time I got onto the road. I had some friends die in a car accident around the time I was learning to drive, and I didn’t want that to happen to me. 

One day my mom asked me why I was so afraid of driving. I told her my reasons. She then told me something that I’ve never forgotten. She told me that everyone that gets on the road has a destination. Everyone has a family, and while every once in a while a crazy person will get on the road and cause an accident; most people don’t get on the road intending to kill other people.
I knew that. However I was having a hard time looking past myself and my fears to realize it at the time. The people that get behind the wheel are parents, brothers, sisters, cousins. They all have a family. Driving on a road isn’t like bumper cars or Mario Kart, it’s a different thing entirely and I was looking at it the wrong way.

I had a similar experience when I thought about marriage and dating. From personal experience my views were totally skewed, and left me thinking that every marriage will fail and end in divorce. Then I went to an institute class and found this amazing quote that I could totally relate to by President Boyd K. Packer:

Some marriages do bend, and some will break, but we must not, because of this, lose faith in marriage nor become afraid of it.
“Broken marriages are not typical.
Remember that trouble attracts attention! We travel the highway with thousands of cars moving in either direction without paying much attention to any of them. But should an accident occur, we notice immediately.
If it happens again, we get the false impression that no one can go safely down the road.
One accident may make the front page, while a hundred million cars that safely pass are not regarded as worth mentioning.
Writers think that a happy, stable marriage does not have the dramatic appeal, the conflict worth featuring in a book or a play or a film. Therefore, we constantly hear about the ruined ones and we lose our perspective.
I believe in marriage. I believe it to be the ideal pattern for human living. I know it to be ordained of God. The restraints relating to it were designed to protect our happiness.
I do not know of any better time in all of the history of the world for a young couple who are of age and prepared and who are in love to think of marriage. There is no better time because it is your time.”

Once again I found myself looking at life through fogged up glasses. It was time to take those glasses off and try life at a new angle. 

Take a step back. Turn off the TV and pick up the phone. Write a letter to your best friend. Ask a stranger how their day has been. The only difference between a friend and a stranger are the words “Hello, what’s your name?” Think about it. Most if not all of your friends were strangers that you met at school, at work, or at church. They were people that you had no idea existed, until you ended up at the same place at the same time as them. Take advantage of where you are in life, and meet the people that are in the same place as you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment