Elysha's World

Elysha's World

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Can You Be My Nightingale?





"A poet is a nightingale who sits in darkness and sings to cheer its own solitude with sweet sounds; his auditors are as men entranced by the melody of an unseen musician, who feel that they are moved and softened, yet know not whence or why.” –Percy Shelley

Who is Florence Nightingale? If you would have asked me like…two days ago, I wouldn’t have been able to tell you. However, I watched this great movie about her last night, and I was very moved by it. She held fast to what she believed in. She said she felt a calling from God when she was 17, and wasn’t sure what that calling was, but she felt like she should use her talents and callings for good. She gave up a lot, and risked her life to help heal people. She found out what she was good at, and worked for that. She was afraid at first, and then she did the best she could to comfort the wounded and tried to help them get better. 

There were a few really touching scenes in the movie where she did everything she could to comfort those in pain. I thought a lot about her while at church today. I also thought of a Demi Lovato song with the name of “Nightingale.” She’s talking about the bird/a person, but I thought it was ironic that there is a bird that sings called the Nightingale, and that Florence freely gave of herself and gave comfort, which is also called Nightingale. I thought it was appropriate. At the hospital, and especially during the war, she would walk around at night and check on the wounded. People started calling her the “Lady with the Lamp.” 


Especially because it seems like people need the most comfort at night. It’s dark outside and sometimes it seems like the sun will never rise. I feel like life is like this sometimes, especially when it comes to choosing a major, which job to take, or other big decisions like that. I read a really amazing BYU Devotional recently that gave me some great insight. I sent it to quite a few friends, and got a great response from all of them. We’re all kind of in this transient time of life. Here is a link to that talk: What Is Your Calling in Life?

I think that sometimes we are the “Lady with the Lamp.” Other times we need some light shed in our own lives. I was lucky when it came to choosing a major. God definitely directed my path. I originally was an English major, however I didn’t really want to be a teacher, and knew that majoring in English didn’t lead to a lot of high paying jobs. When I transferred to a university I had to declare my major. I had enjoyed my Communications classes when I was at the junior college, and I only didn’t major in that because I didn’t want to take a Multi Media class. 

I had been thinking a lot about it, but I never felt like I got an answer.  I prayed about it, thought about it, asked people what they thought, but I never felt like I got my answer. I decided I'd just stick with English, even though I didn't really want to major in that.

On the day that I went to sign up for my major, I tripped and found myself looking at a manhole cover that said, “Communications.” I looked up and I was right in front of the Humanities building. I had been debating whether or not I should be a Communications major or not, and I took this as my answer. I stood up and walked right into that
building and that's how I decided which major I should go into.  


No comments:

Post a Comment