Elysha's World

Elysha's World

Sunday, May 17, 2015

Birthday Parties!



Birthdays! They come around about once a year. I personally don’t really like to celebrate birthdays. I’m happy to take a friend out to dinner or something, but my birthday doesn’t fall at the ideal time of year. Usually all my friends are moving away at the end of the semester, so by the time my birthday rolls around most of my friends are gone. 

This year however, we decided to do some low key things that actually ended up being really fun and just what I needed! It’s interesting because people keep asking me what I did, and I’m very happy to tell them. However, it is a shock to my system every time someone, after hearing the story says, “Wow Elysha, you are really loved!” I didn’t really stop to think about that. I just figured they’d come if they want to, and we were throwing a party and people love parties! But when I stop to think about it, I really am loved and surrounded by amazing friends and family. 

It’s amazing how many things you can get for free on your birthday! I’ve never really been in a big enough town to go and get any of these “freebies” before, but now that I know about them, I feel obligated to share what I know. I found out a lot of this information on this website: Free Birthday Stuff!

As my friend Taylor Swift said, “It feels like a perfect night, for breakfast at midnight.” So, that’s what we did. We went to Denny’s at midnight. 25-30 people showed up and we ate breakfast. It’s amazing how many single college students are awake that late. If you go to Denny’s on your birthday they’ll give you a free Grand Slam. All you have to do is show them your Drivers License.



For lunch I found online that Fire House Subs gives away a free sub to you on your birthday. I’d only ever eaten there twice, but I thought I’d give it a shot. So I went, showed them my ID, got a free sub, and came home. It was messy and delicious. I even got a free pickle. 

Later that day my roommate surprised me by giving me the movie “Into the Woods.”  She knows I love musicals. We went to Family Home Evening and my ward had a pool party. It was cold and rainy, so I didn’t get in, but you better believe I danced on the sidelines for 2 hours. I must add that I received an incredible amount of cookies, brownies and other delicious treats throughout the day.

There were phone calls, Facebook messages, texts and cards I received throughout the day.
After that was over I came home and thought about going to bed early…but my friends know me better than that. About 6 people showed up with chocolate and cake to watch a movie with me. We didn’t end up watching the movie, but rather engaged in a crazy game of “Sweedish Twister.” 

………Fast forward to the next week……….

My aunt and uncle invited a friend and I to go to the opera for my birthday. I’d never gone to the opera before, but it seemed fancy and I was excited. We saw the most amazing performance! It was unlike anything I’d seen before! The 3 hours surprisingly flew by, and I found myself wanting the intermissions to be shorter so we could get back to the story. 


A few days later my roommate and I went out to eat at Noodles and Company. I really love this restaurant. I joined their email club, and they sent me a free meal birthday coupon. I feel like this place is over looked often, but they give you the whole month to redeem your meal. Pesto noodles never tasted so good! 


There are a few other things that I got from signing up for email lists like a free appetizer or desert from Olive Garden, a free Blizzard from DQ,  a free sandwich at Red Robins, and a buy one get one free meal from Tucano’s. 

Needless to say there are some pretty fun and free things to do on your birthday!

1 comment:

  1. I may have to have you sign me up and I can come up for my birthday! :-)

    ReplyDelete