Elysha's World

Elysha's World

Saturday, December 20, 2014

Little Women




I love classic movies! I believe that chivalry is not dead. I believe that there are good people in the world. I believe that there is someone for everyone. I don’t know what it is about the last few weeks, but I’ve been rekindling my love to classic 80’s - 90’s movies. I love the old fashion with the big dresses. I have to wear a skirt or dress to work every day, and maybe that is where all of this is coming from. 

I don’t know what it is about these movies, but they move me. They make me want to be a better person. They make me want to follow my dreams. They make me want to write! They also make me want to fall in love a little bit. They’re classic, and that’s why everyone loves them. They’re a little heartbreaking as well, and they’re pretty true to real life for better or for worse. 
 
As I’ve been thinking about my future, I’ve started to try to think more clearly of what exactly it is that I want. It’s a lot harder than it sounds. I love and relate very well to the movie “Little Women.” I have five sisters, instead of four sisters like the book, but I know how they feel. A lot of the movie is just the mother raising her daughters. They get by and live well enough, but sometimes get to experience the life of their rich friends. They have an amazing neighbor boy that they spend their time with, and they’re all always acting things out and going on adventures. My older sister is similar to Meg. She lived her life, got her education, found a man, got married and had a child. It seems simple enough and easy to do right? Wrong.  (Okay so this video is SUPER cheesy, but it's the music not the acting that I love. It's about Meg.)

I relate more with the second child, Jo. I crave adventure, but it’s hard to leave home and go far away. I think I know what I want, and then I change my mind. I love to stay up late and let my imagination run wild with me. I love to write and would love to be published one day. I think Jo in Little Women says it best, “I want to do something splendid...something heroic or wonderful that won't be forgotten after I'm dead. I don't know what, but I'm on the watch for it and mean to astonish you all someday.” (Once again a super dramatic scene, but it's Sutton Foster!)

Jo finds some dear friends, many friends, and yet surprisingly ends up with the professor in the end. He isn’t some wealthy well-to-do man, but they appreciate the same things and love each other. Isn’t that what we’re all searching for?

I don’t think any of my sisters are really like Beth or Amy in the book. I think we really are all a little of all of the Little Women combined. I LOVED, loved, LoVeD the musical/play version of Little Women. I could relate to every song. I could think of a memory to go with almost all of them from my own life. I had friends who were grown men and cried when we went to see it last year. I shared a few of them in this post Musical Dating Tips about the steps of dating explained through musicals. 
 
I don’t know if I have a favorite song from this play. I really enjoy the two songs that the mother sings in this play. Part of that is because her songs are in my singing range, and are very heartfelt songs. I think the other reason is because the woman in this play reminds me of my own mother. So caring, so stressed, and so worried that she might not be able to raise her daughters properly by herself. After Beth dies in the play, the mother is strong, and refuses to feel tragic or that God is against her. She stands up and is a beacon of hope for her daughters and expects them to move on with their lives instead of living in the past.

There’s a song in this musical called “Take a Chance on Me.” I’ve always enjoyed it and can relate to it a little too well. A few months ago I was talking to a man I’d just met earlier that day, and after a pretty serious conversation he said, “So what do you think? Will you take a chance on me?” I’m sure he had no idea about this song, but I couldn’t help but smile, and laughed about it for a long time after. Now I can’t listen to this song without thinking about that conversation.

When I was in high school there were a lot of deaths in my small town. I’ve been to more funerals than I ever hoped to go to, especially for people around my age. One of my friends lost her sister to a car accident. I was at school in her class right after she got the news. I didn’t know her sister very well, because she was older than I was, but I knew my friend. I was supposed to take a test that day in my Drama class, but I was so shaken up that I couldn’t compose myself enough to take the test. One of my friends asked my teacher if he could take me into the back room and just sit with me there. I didn’t really have a lot to say, but he was kind enough to sit with me. As soon as the class was over I ran into the hall way and found my friends. We just stood in the hall way hugging each other and crying. That was a really hard funeral to attend. My friends sister was just a few weeks away from her wedding when the accident happened. I think I like the song because it shows a strong bond between sisters. In this video my cousin plays the part of Jo. 

The song, “How Am I?” just encompasses so beautifully how I think we all feel when we find someone we enjoy spending time with. You get excited, nervous, tongue tied, creative, stupid, and a range of so many other emotions. In this video he’s trying to write a letter, but now a day it can take me up to ten minutes to write a perfectly worded text or Facebook message. We’ve all been there.

I think it’s a smooth transition into the song “Small Umbrella.” It’s kind of a back and forth song where they both want to be right, and finally start to learn to work together. I also love the end scene in the movie. It just brings everything together and I can't help but smile every time I see the play or the movie. 


I guess things change and we have to grow up. I love my family of little women, well, maybe not so little anymore and not just women!



No comments:

Post a Comment