Elysha's World

Elysha's World

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

No Fear!




 “Hello world! How’ve you been?” I think a lot of times we let the things that are around us control our emotions. We’re mad because our team lost the game, someone said something unkind about us, or we were late turning in our assignment. Then all at once something happens in our life and it totally changes our perspective. Like in the music video above, the adults are fighting in the car at the beginning, and by the end of the song whatever they were fighting about doesn’t even matter anymore. 



Life’s been kind of crazy the last few weeks. I got to spend some time with my family and play with my little niece. I took two days off of work and just sat at my house and played with her. It really helped put things back into perspective for me, especially with the holiday season approaching. There is nothing more important than my family. I was constantly fighting myself and thinking how stupid it was to take work off to just sit at my house, but then I’d hear my niece laugh, and I wasn’t just sitting around. I was on the floor chasing her around all day both days. 

I came back to work and my room is still a mess, I just barely finished doing the dishes, and I’m really behind on a few other things that are important to me. However, I wouldn’t have traded those two days for anything. We can learn so much from small children. I learned a great lesson from a small child while on my mission in Taiwan. I couldn’t even communicate with many people at this time on my mission, but this lesson was learned without any words at all. This is an excerpt from a letter I sent home. 

"Thursday we taught Sister Wang . She's an older lady who's less active in the church. By older I mean she’s probably 80 years old. As we were teaching her, her granddaughter was sitting at the little table with us on a stool. Every time we sit with them, I always think that the little girl is going to fall off the stool; she's maybe 1 or 2 years old. So today, she did. She fell backwards off the stool onto the cement floor. Luckily she didn't hit her head on the table, the stool, or a chair. She was fine, just scared by her fall. She started crying, but after her grandma picked her up, and kissed her better she stopped crying and climbed right back up onto the stool. I thought about it after, I thought about it a lot actually. And I realized that must be how God sees us.

He knows we're going to fall and fail. He knows our Chinese is awful and that we'll fall. He knows that your parenting skills aren't good enough; he knows that you aren't going to get 100% on that test, and he knows that you'll probably make a counting error at work. Yet, because we have the freedom to choose, he lets us fall. He watches us, full well knowing we're going to hit the ground, but he lets us fall so perfectly as to not really get hurt. Actually we don't get hurt at all most of the time, we just get a little scared because the wind got knocked out of us and falling down is scary. So we start to cry, or pray, and tell him how scary that was, or how hard it was, and how we're trying so hard to be adults, and trying our best. 

So he picks us up, and puts us on his lap, and hugs us, and kisses our bruises, until we feel better, and realize that we're just fine, and then he sets us up on the stool again. At first we struggle because we don't want to go up and fall down again, but we realize it's what's best for us.  So we eventually forgot we got hurt in the first place, and know that He's there with his hand on our back to steady us, as we are sitting on the stool. We go back to life better than we were before.
Things scare us, but we don't realize their scary until we fall down. When a child falls, the parent feels more afraid for the child than the child does for himself. The parent knows what it feels like to get hurt, and when that child falls down the parent wants to take away the child’s pain. That's how God is with us. He knows we're going to fall, and when we fall it hurts him, more than it hurts us. But he just sits there, and waits for us to come and tell him all about it. He waits and listens and after we're done talking and crying, he'll give us a Band-Aid, not because we need it, but we feel better by having one, so we can go show all of your friends what happened. After that He sits back and let us decide when we’re ready to trust Him and get back up again."

Falling down is scary, but it’s the getting back up again that shows us what we’re made of. 

“It isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out. Don't worry. I say that to myself every morning. It all works out in the end. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. He will not forsake us. If we will put our trust in Him, if we will pray to Him, if we will live worthy of His blessings, He will hear our prayers.” -Gordon B. Hinkley

When I'm trying to build up my courage to complete a task, these are two songs always come to mind. Not surprisingly they're songs from a Musical and not quite Disney movie. 


No comments:

Post a Comment