Elysha's World

Elysha's World

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Family History and Temples




I’ve become one of those people. One of those old lady’s that sit around and find out about their family history. I really don’t even know what I’m doing, but somehow have gotten well over 300 names prepared and with the help of some friends taken to the temple. It’s been a really neat experience. I’ve never really done a lot with family history, I never learned about it, and I remember doing it, or trying to do it maybe at two other times in my life. I’ve always known it was important, but I felt like it was something that senior couples like to do. 

Last September I got called to be my ward Family History Representative. We had stake meetings once a month, went to ward council, and got a class put together. My co-partner and I didn’t have a lot of knowledge about family history or genealogy, but we started to learn about it piece by piece. I still can’t say I know a whole lot about it, but I’ve definitely gotten my feet wet. I jumped in and got all wet, but I mostly just splash around, and enjoy pulling other people into the water, or at least throwing water at them from the pool.  I’ve had a really great time teaching other people the few things that I know, but I’ve also had some really cool experiences.


Some of them are very personal and sacred experiences, but some of them are just too cool not to share. I love using Familysearch.org. I go on their website every Sunday for about an hour and look for missing family members and names that need temple ordinances complete for them.
However I had a really cool experience this last week, and I felt like it was a good week to work on some particular names. They were names that were baptized on June 1 2012. Do you know what happened on that day? Let me refresh your memory. I went to the Boston Massachusetts Temple on that day for the first time ever and we did a bunch of family names. My dad, mom, older sister and I all went together. We took like 100 family names with us. They were all family names from my father’s side of the family.  He even did some of the ordinances in Portuguese.  I didn’t know what he was saying, but it was a really cool experience.
    My cousin and I in front of the Provo Temple
My college roommate and I as missionaries in Provo

Roommates and I in front of the Manti Temple

Salt Lake Temple
Two guys I served in the MTC with and I in front of the Mount Timpanogos Temple
My cousin and I in front of the Lima, Peru Temple
Taipei Taiwan Temple!
 Anyway, I came upon some names and printed them off last Sunday. They had that date, June 1, 2012 on them, and I realized that I’d done those names for my family 12 years earlier, before I even knew anything about family history work. So today all together was a cool experience and I felt gratitude and a lot of peace and happiness. 

Me in front of the Omaha Nebraska Temple!
There is more to the story, there always is. I’ve found such a joy in family history work. There’s something cool about connecting with ancestors that have come before us. What they were like, who they were, what they did with their lives. I hope to be able to find more information on what kind of lives these people led in the future. For now, I’m just glad to remember them and try to piece together our families. It’s a puzzle, but I’m enjoying it! 

If you have more questions about what a temple is or what goes on inside, you can follow this link: https://www.lds.org/church/temples/why-we-build-temples/what-happens-in-temples?lang=eng
 

1 comment:

  1. You have come such a long way since then but I can only think that some of those people have been watching you for years waiting just for you to do their work.

    ReplyDelete