Elysha's World

Elysha's World

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

The Sky Is Falling! Bring Him Home.




The last few weeks have been pretty interesting. I got a little overwhelmed with everything and everyone and so I drove home last weekend to spend the weekend with my mom and sister. I hadn’t been home since May. It’s about a 2 hour drive from where I am now. I never like to make the drive alone, but I usually do. It was surprisingly relaxing this time. I wasn’t stressed out and I loved looking at all the scenery. I think a lot of people would say that mountains and weeds are ugly, but I’ve learned to love and appreciate it. It just kind of feels like home. What did I do this weekend? I relaxed, I watched a few movies, I spent 5 hours weeding our backyard, and I was sore all over my body for 4 days because of it. Those weeds were so deep! They were strong. It gave a whole new meaning to all of the church analogies I’ve heard of “digging your roots in deep.” I don’t know if it was being home, giving service, or having unconditional love from my family, but this weekend was just what I needed. 



The funniest part? While driving home I pass a lot of fields and cows. At one point I was driving down a lonely stretch of road, and I noticed an animal running next to the road. I didn’t think much of it until I got closer. I slowed down hoping I wouldn’t have to swerve if it ran into the road. As I passed it I looked out my window and this Turkey was running down the road next to my car. He must have taken a wrong turn somewhere to be on this particular road with me, but it did make me laugh. It reminded me of this quote that I heard recently, which I really appreciate. 


“God is anxiously waiting for the chance to answer your prayers and fulfill your dreams, just as He always has. But He can’t if you don’t pray, and He can’t if you don’t dream. In short, He can’t if you don’t believe.
Drawing upon my vast background of children’s bedtime stories, I say you can pick your poultry. You can either be like Chicken Little and run about shouting “The sky is falling; the sky is falling” or you can be like the Little Red Hen and forge ahead with the productive tasks of living, regardless of who does or doesn’t help you or who does or doesn’t believe just the way you believe.”- Jeffrey R. Holland, BYU Devo Terror, Triumph, and a Wedding Feast
September 12, 2004


I feel like most of the time I’m that little lost Turkey or Chicken Little. I just kind of run around without a purpose and forget what’s important. I’m trying a lot harder to be more like the Little Red Hen. Although that can be a lonelier path, it shows one’s strength.  One way I’ve been working on this is I’m trying to listen to more BYU devotionals. I love talk tapes, speeches, books on CD and BYU devotionals. If I’m ever bored at work, these are what get me through the day. I listened to an amazing BYU Devo today about spiritual destinies and sharing your talents.  It’s called “What is Your Calling in Life?” It was given June 1, 2010 by Jeffery A. Thompson. I was so impressed by this talk! If you get the chance listen or read it, here's a link to it: http://speeches.byu.edu/index.php?act=viewitem&id=1900

Besides all that I have been obsessed with the music from the musical Les Miserable recently. One song in particular has caught my attention. There aren’t very many versions of this song I like. The video at the top of this blog post sung by Alfie Boe and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir is by far my favorite right now. I listen to it at least 20 times a day. I like that it’s so real and full of raw emotion. I think we’ve all bargained with God like this at one point or another. I’ve found two other versions I like as well. 

I’m also obsessed with Thai food at the moment. I eat it at least twice a week. It’s just so GOOD! Spicy Thai is my favorite place to eat it. If you haven’t tried it, you need to change your life. It’s a little piece of heaven. 

Oh yes, I also cut like 6 to 7 inches off my hair last week, and I love it! It’s a little shorter than I wanted it to be, however, my hair will probably all be back in about 10 months. I’m kind of cool like that. My own personal Wolverine if you’re into X-men. Yay for change! 


No comments:

Post a Comment