Elysha's World

Elysha's World

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

You Look Like A Princess



According to the singer Lorde, “We’ll never be royal.” According to the Lord, “We are a royal generation.” 

"Be strong and of good courage. You are truly royal spirit daughters of Almighty God. You are princesses, destined to become queens. Your own wondrous story has already begun. Your 'once upon a time' is now." - President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

My Grandmother Charlotte Sheffield. Miss USA 1957


I try to live my life in a way that others can tell where I stand. They know what my standards are, they know what I believe, and they know that if they ever have a problem, or need a designated driver, that I’ll be there. Sometimes it feels like a really long lonely road. 

I went on a date recently and the conversation topic turned to religion. While we were eating dinner my date turned to me and asked, "Would you consider yourself churchy?" I was kind of caught of guard. We were the same religion and had been having a pretty in-depth conversation about church related things.  I thought about it for a moment and then said, "Yes." I looked at him and asked the same question, "Do you?" He said, "Yes I'm churchy, but I pretend not to be." He gave me a devious smile, and we changed the topic. 

This conversation has stayed with me for the last few weeks. It's amazing to me that some people are proud to stand up for what they believe in, and others like to pretend like they don't stand for anything at all. Sometimes it's hard to see your own and others true potential. 

Recently my home teacher sent me a Facebook message. I’d spent the night over at his house playing games with his roommates, but he decided to play on his computer, instead of with us. He said he had something important to do. I thought maybe he was in dungeons slaying dragons, or something similar to that. I guess in a way he was. He sent me this. When I opened it, I caught my breath. It was a picture of me, in black and white, with words all over it. So I made the picture bigger and I almost started crying. That someone would think so highly of me, to care about me, to put all these amazing quotes on a picture for me meant a lot. 


Seeing this made me start to think. I hold myself to a certain standard, and I feel even more pressure to live correct principles when I know other people are watching, and are also holding me to them. Not only that, but they’re encouraging it, and also trying to live the best they can. It’s a lot easier to live the gospel, when I have amazing friends and family around me who love and support me, and are living the gospel principles as well.

Growing up, I recited the Young Women’s theme at church every Sunday with all the other girls in my ward. This is what we’d say:

“We are daughters of our Heavenly Father, who loves us, and we love Him. We will stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places, as we strive to live the Young Women values, which are:
Faith • Divine Nature • Individual Worth • Knowledge • Choice and Accountability • Good Works • Integrity • and Virtue
We believe as we come to accept and act upon these values, we will be prepared to strengthen home and family, make and keep sacred covenants, receive the ordinances of the temple, and enjoy the blessings of exaltation.”

Isn’t that beautiful? The part that helped me most of the time when I was at school or going through a hard time was the very beginning. “We are daughters of our Heavenly Father, who loves us, and we love Him.” There have been many times when I felt completely alone. Whenever I felt this way, I knew I wasn’t alone, the Lord was there. 



When I was a little girl my mom would sing me the song “I Am A Child of God” every night before I went to sleep. I think this really shaped me; of course I didn’t realize this until I was much older. When my little sisters were babies, my mom started reading them “ Love You Forever.” This little book is packed with such an incredible message! I wish more parents would realize what kind of effect they have on their children, and what kind of role models they could become! 



This is my favorite version of  “I Am A Child of God.” I heard it for the first time at EFY. It’s sung by April Meservy. I've probably listened to this song over 1,000 times. This song got me through a lot of dark nights.



Tonight I had the opportunity to go to a LDS temple and worship. I love the temple! It truly is holy ground. There is a spirit of peace and clarity that comes from just standing on temple grounds, inside or outside. I was sitting by myself thinking, when a random lady came up to me and said, “You look like a princess!” This really caught me off guard. I didn’t look cute, pretty, or dressed up. I was wearing a white shirt and a white skirt. I got ready in five minutes this morning because I got up late. My face was broken out, and I didn’t feel beautiful or even close to that. I actually kind of felt a little lost and invisible. 

Now that lady didn’t have to stop and say anything to me, but because she did, it helped me be reminded of who I really am! A daughter of God. Apparently I really need to learn this lesson, because God sent two of His children into my path this week to remind me of that. 


I love a talk given by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf about our divine potential. I’ll leave the link here so if you have some free time you can read it, or listen to it while you cook dinner. 



So don’t believe that you’ll never be royal. As Nicole Britt wrote, “You’re worth more than gold!”


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing :) I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey beautiful, you didn't put a link to your favorite version of the song. I wanted to listen to it.... I love you and you are a Princess, Princess two in my world but "you're the tops," to quote a song! Love you forever to quote a song! hugs mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for letting me know Tejae. I have added the link.

    ReplyDelete