Elysha's World

Elysha's World

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Next To Normal





Today at work my computer crashed. I was sitting there signing into everything when my computer froze up, a blue screen flashed, and it kept restarting. Luckily we had an extra computer for me to go work on. It made me a lot more grateful for my desk, chair, keyboard, position in the office, and large desk. I felt so out of sync all day at my new computer. I feel like I got nothing done, and I had some really hard transcripts. My computer was really slow, so I decided to just listen to my two favorite Pandora stations to help the day pass faster. I usually listen to my Little Women Station or my Next to Normal Station. Fun fact about me: I love Musicals! 

The IT guy finally called me to tell me what was wrong with my computer, and told me they’d have to wipe the memory. It kind of reminded me of one of my favorite musicals. It’s called Next To Normal. It’s a rock musical about a mother who has depression and schizophrenia. She lives with her husband and daughter and son. When watching the play everything seems normal, until about half way through when you realize that no one else but her can see and interact with her son. She tries to commit suicide so they put her in a treatment facility, and decide that the best thing to do for her is to try electric shock to take away the memory of her son. Basically, they wipe her memory. In the end she has to relearn things and decides to do what she thinks is best for her family. 


The music is so moving! I’m kind of obsessed with it. I feel like everyone gains something different from it when they watch it. I had to opportunity to go and see it a few months ago when it came to town with my friend. By the time the play was over there wasn’t a dry eye in the audience. If you ever get the chance to go see it, I highly recommend it! Try watching this clip without getting chills! 


No comments:

Post a Comment