Elysha's World

Elysha's World

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Wonder of Wonder


Yesterday I found out that a kid that I went to high school with passed away. Every time death stops by it makes me reevaluate my life and those close to me. I had a friend say, "Suddenly the basketball game doesn't seem so important." To me, suddenly all the little things I worry about in my life don't seem as important as helping the family in their time of sorrow. I live in a small town with exactly five stop lights. When one person is hurting we all in a way come together. I like the way Emily Dickinson makes death seem like a continuation of our life's journey in her poem Death.

Because I could not stop for Death,
He kindly stopped for me;
The carriage held but just ourselves
And Immortality.
We slowly drove, he knew no haste,
And I had put away
My labor, and my leisure too,
For his civility.

We passed the school, where children strove
At recess, in the ring;
We passed the fields of gazing grain,
We passed the setting sun.

Or rather, he passed us;
The dews grew quivering and chill,
For only gossamer my gown,
My tippet only tulle.

We paused before a house that seemed
A swelling of the ground;
The roof was scarcely visible,
The cornice but a mound.

Since then 'tis centuries, and yet each
Feels shorter than the day
I first surmised the horses' heads
Were toward eternity.


When I was in high school there were a lot of deaths, but one accident in particular made a great change in me. Two kids in my high school were killed in a car accident. It was a long hard week, but in the end I really learned a lot. Today is Mothers Day. A day to celebrate the one who brought you into this world. Turn off the TV, computer, Ipod, cell phone, and spend some time with your family. You never know when will be the last time you'll get to see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment