Elysha's World

Elysha's World

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Sometimes I Take Life For Granite


Today I went on a field trip with my geology class. We visited some cool sights and got to spend a lot of time on a mini bus. I started talking with the girl next to me, and she told me that she watches Jay Leno every Monday night for the headlines. I don't really watch Jay Leno, so I asked her what she meant. Apparently, her family watches Jay Leno every Monday night to see what's going on in the world. I was quite surprised. When I want to know what's going on in the world I watch the news or check on websites like CNN. After a while I decided that I needed some alone time, so I moved as far to my right as possible, took out my I-pod, and pretended like I was doing something very important. I've really enjoyed being in my geology class. I've learned to identify all sorts of rocks and minerals. All day long we were making nerdy jokes like,"It's been a gneiss (nice) day."
"I think you take me for granite."
"You rock hard core."
"Look at that schist!"
"You crack me up."
"That's not my fault."
I love geology! I even wrote a poem about minerals.

My Ode to Minerals

I think minerals
are really great,
especially when
we get to date.

They've been on
this Earth so long,
that I'm writing an ode,
but also a song.

An ode to their cleavage
and their many sides.
sometimes their true nature
in the interior hides.

I find it intriguing
their composition and luster,
to grow in the Earth
their courage must muster.

Sometimes they go streaking
to show their true color,
they get quite upset
if their color is duller

On the hardness scale
we find if their strong.
Sometimes their deceiving,
and turn out all wrong.

Some are magnetic,
acid, or salty.
Each is unique
and is perfect, not faulty.

1 comment:

  1. So enjoyed your ODE. Very creative. I can't wait to hear more about sparrow.:-)

    ReplyDelete